The North American Veterinary Licensing Examination (NAVLE) is taken by all students requiring licensure in the United States and can be taken during the final clinical year. Students who will practice in the United Kingdom will take the membership examination of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons (RCVS) after graduation.

RCVS registration entitles veterinary surgeons to practice in the UK. Note that European Union (EU) legislation which affects registration of veterinary surgeons is in place to allow free movement of EU nationals between EU member states. Therefore, EU member states are obliged to register only EU nationals who also hold an EU veterinary qualification.

SGU students and graduates are advised to check the registration or licensing requirements very carefully with the veterinary licensing authority of any/all countries where they wish to practice. Ultimately, it is their responsibility to see that their applications are properly processed in accordance with the requirements of the particular authority from which licenses are sought. The Postgraduate Licensing Division of the Office of the Registrar maintains some information on the requirements for licensure in the 54 American jurisdictions, and in many international jurisdictions; however, the University is not an agent of any licensing authority.

For precise, up-to-date information, it is students’ or graduates’ responsibility to seek that information from the licensing agency in the region, state, or country where licensure is being sought. The Division of Postgraduate Licensing supports students during the licensing process whenever necessary.

NOTE: The following websites provide current licensing information: