All clinical students are required to have health insurance         

While in their clinical training, students should contact the DME at their clinical center or hospital for acute healthcare problems. These include medical illnesses, psychological problems, and potentially hazardous environmental exposures (see Exposure Policy below). The Office of Clinical Education Operations should also be notified and will help students with both acute and long- term care.

The issue of student health care while in hospitals requires further clarification. Students rotating through hospitals are not employees and should not have access to employee or occupational health services. They are not covered under Workman’s Compensation Laws. Whenever possible, students with an injury, illness or other health related problems should see a private physician in their health plan.

Students are not to use the Emergency Department (ED) for routine problems. Students are responsible for all fees that are charged by the ED, physicians and hospital that are not covered by their health plan. Insurance policies may not cover non-emergency illnesses or injuries treated in the hospital ED and/or may require a co-payment. Only serious, acute problems should necessitate an ED visit.

Exposure Policy

In the case of potentially hazardous environmental exposure, students should inform their DME and the Office of Clinical Education Operations (as detailed above) and follow the hospital’s exposure policy, which may require an ED visit. Students should have health insurance to cover the cost of treatment of hazardous environmental exposures.